Share this infographic on your site!
Embed this infographic on your site!
The editors at Best Communications Degrees decided to research the topic of:
Online Revolution! How the internet has changed the world
There are 2,405,518,376 internet users in the world, a 566.4% growth since 2000. As the users grow, the world changes.
Hacktivism - the nonviolent use of legally ambiguous digital tools in pursuit of politically, socially, or culturally subversive ends
- Not-for-profit media organisation that provides a secure and anonymous way for sources to leak information.
- Released U.S. State department diplomatic "cables" - US assessments of host countries
- 251,287 Classified documents from 274 American consulates, embassies, and diplomatic missions, around the world
- "A foreign plot to destabilize Arab regimes...WikiLeaks publishes information written by lying ambassadors in order to create chaos." ĖMuammar Gaddafi
- Initiated Arab Spring
- Protesters got organized through facebook:
- 1. spreading rebellious inspiration- videos and photographs of state brutality
- 2. "the GPS for this revolution" Logistical information of where and when to protest
- Egypt + Tunisia 60% of social networkers share political views
- Only 34% across the world stage
- Egypt +Tunisia +Lebanon + Jordan, 70% share community issues views
- Only 46% across the world stage
- Power of Trending
- Overthrow of Egypt
- tweets about Egyptian revolution
- escalated from 2,300 (1 month before resignation) to 230,000 per day the week President Hosni Mubarak stepped down
- Overthrow of Tunisia
- Tunisian Bloggers covering Tunisian revolution
- escalated from 5% (1 month before Ben Ali resigned) to 20% the day Ben Ali stepped down.
You can be an expert in anything online...Hobbyist Revolution
- YouTube: Iím an Actor!
- professional actors [in US]: 66,500
- 1 trillion views in 2011 = 140 views per person on earth
- 800 million unique users visit YouTube each month
- 4 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube
- 72 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
- Instagram: Iím a Photographer! 13% of all internet users are on Instagram
- professional photographers [in US]: 139,500
- 90 million Monthly Active Users
- 40 million Photos Per Day
Pinterest: Iím crafty! 15% of all internet users are on Pinterest
- 5 million stay at home mothers [in the US]
- 25.3 million MAUs [latest results sept 2012]
- 1,047% increase in YOY unique PC visitors
- Women are 5x more likely than men
- DoItYourself stats
- 4.9% of all boards are DIY & Crafts
- 9.6% of all pins are DIY & Crafts category
WebMD - Iím a doctor!- Visual "Symptom Search: Headache" brain tumor
- headache brain tumor
- stomach ache HIV
- WebMD Traffic:
- professional Physicians/surgeons [in US]: 691,000
- Today 107.2 million unique users per month increase of 22% over 2011
- 2.56 billion page views for the quarter (Q3 2012) increase of 24% over 2011
Feel the Learn! anytime, anywhere, any price.
- Online classes:
- 32% of higher-ed students (6.7+ million) take at least one online course
- 77% of academic leaders rate the online learning outcomes as the same or superior to face-to-face learning.
- Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
- Free online courses taught by Ivy League Professors
- Hundreds of thousands of students from all over the world enroll every semester.
- For MOOC students who had previously taken a similar class on a campus
- 63% said MOOC was better
- 36% found MOOC comparable
- 1% said MOOC was worse
- JSTOR has more than 4.5 million scholarly articles from nearly 800 academic publishers available online with a subscription.